Option 1: Youth Hostel
This basic accommodation enables the cost of the weekend to be affordable and kept to a minimum. You will sleep in a shared room (we will try to meet preferences for single gender rooms but this cannot be guaranteed as it depends on numbers). For breakfast on Saturday and Sunday, oats and milk for porridge, bread for toast, orange juice, tea, coffee (and decaff options) are provided. However there is a self catering kitchen for our use and as such you may bring food to make your own or additional breakfast.
Option 2: Arranging your own accommodation
There is a variety of B&Bs and in Youlgrave and many holiday cottages for rent. There are also some local camping/caravan sites. For camping, Kleznorth participants have often used Church Farm (behind the George): make individual arrangements with Mrs Shimwell on 01629 636111
For more information about accommodation and campsites visit the Youlgrave Parish Website.
Rota and help
We operate a rota of help which all workshop participants are involved in. You will usually work in a small group for just one short slot of time which you will be allocated to. This helps keep the weekend time we spend together running smoothly as well as keeping the basic cost down to a minimum. Please let us know when booking if there is a specific task type you are unable to do e.g lifting, handling food etc or a day or timing you prefer not to do.
Ticket options and prices
- Weekend Ticket (non-residential) £70 ~ for those organising their own accommodation or travelling to Youlgrave daily. This ticket covers: Friday evening ceremony and session, all workshops, Saturday and Sunday lunches, the Saturday evening Tish (celebration meal), daytime drinks and refreshments. If you later decide that you prefer to stay in the YHA then you can upgrade for £30.
- Weekend Ticket (residential) £100 ~ for those opting to sleep in the YHA hostel. This ticket covers: Friday evening ceremony and session, all workshops, Saturday and Sunday lunches, the Saturday evening Tish (celebration meal), daytime drinks and refreshments PLUS a bed in the YHA (Friday/Saturday nights) and simple breakfast.
- Saturday £60 ~ This ticket covers Saturday workshops, lunch, evening Tish (celebration meal), daytime drinks and refreshments.
- Saturday night only £25 ~ for only the Tish and Kabaret on Saturday evening
- Washing Dishes £35 ~ for those willing to do approximately three and a half hours of washing-up during the weekend. This ticket covers: Friday evening ceremony and session, all workshops (when not on on dish-washing duty), Saturday and Sunday lunches, the Saturday evening Tish, daytime drinks and refreshments. It does not include accommodation but you can upgrade to YHA for £30.
- Upgrade to YHA £30 If you have booked a non-residential or dish-washing place but now need a place to stay then this gives you a bed in the YHA (Friday/Saturday nights) and simple breakfast.
- All-Star concert £6.50 (normally £12) KlezNorth participants can buy tickets for the Sunday afternoon AllStar concert at a special discounted rate!
- Donate to the bursary fund We offer discounted places to young Klezmorim. Please help to support the next generation.
Food and Tish
The food we provide over the weekend is vegetarian. The provision is generous and varied but we cannot guarantee to cater for restricted diets. As the Village Hall kitchen is used by many different groups we regret that we cannot cater for life-threatening allergies. We therefore encourage you to bring anything extra that you may need (ready-prepared food only please).
Weekend Tickets include:
- lunches on Saturday and Sunday
- the Saturday evening Tish (celebration meal) – see below for details…
- drinks and biscuits during the weekend.
If eating with us on Friday evening, please bring a cold only vegetarian dish to share.
Please bring a small contribution to a communal fruit bowl.
For those who booked a ticket with accommodation (ie at the YHA), this includes a simple breakfast with cooking facilities available for anyone who would like more.
Saturday Night Tish
The Saturday night Tish (Yiddish = table) is based on the joyous gathering or meal by Hasidim at the “table” of their Rebbe. Throughout the meal, participants sing together – before, after, and in-between eating. At Kleznorth, we bring this tradition into our Tish by combining our Kabaret of song and other performances with our three-course meal.
We aim to serve the traditional Northern European Jewish (Ashkenazi) food which is associated with Klezmer music. Although Ashkenazi food is mainly meat/fish based we keep Kleznorth vegetarian in order to be accessible to the greatest number of people. We always manage to produce a great spread despite limited catering facilities at the Village Hall.
My Journey Planner provided by Transport Direct, can be helpful.
- Youlgrave/Bakewell buses run approx hourly 8.30am – 5.30pm except Sunday(Hulleys 170 or 171).
- Bus timetables at derbyshire.gov.uk
- Buses from Sheffield to Bakewell (South Yorkshire Transport ~ no240)
- Buses from Manchester to Derby/Nottingham (Trent Buses ~ ‘Transpeak’).
- Information about all UK buses: traveline.org (click East Midlands on map, then ‘RouteTimetables’,) or gobycoach.com for National Express information.
Nearby rail stations:
- Chesterfield (13 miles ~ on the London – Sheffield & The North line.
- Buxton (13 miles) ~ trains from Manchester terminate at Buxton.
- Matlock (8 miles) ~ trains from Derby (and the South) terminate at Matlock.
Coming by car
There is no parking by the Village Hall. The Hall is located on a very steep no-through road and there is extremely limited space to turn. We ask you please not to bring your car down to the Hall to unload.
Free weekend parking for Kleznorth ticket holders is available at Coldwell End Car Park, DE45 1UY. This is situated at the far west end of the village, on the main street on the right, past the Farmyard pub on the right (5 minutes walk from the Village Hall)
Please share resources! If you can offer a lift to Kleznorth or if you want a lift to Kleznorth then register on www.liftshare.com to link up with others from your area. Enter ‘Youlgreave, United Kingdom’ as your destination (as the village is listed twice on the Liftshare website). You could also offer or request lifts from Matlock, the nearest station.
Also, have a look at and join our Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/kleznorth and you can add a message there about lift offers or requests.